Wednesday, August 13, 2008

tiny victories

I think yesterday was the 5th or 6th time I've commuted to work by bike. People who are obviously non-cyclists act as if I've just won the Tour de France when I tell them I ride to work 1-2 times per week. Please. It's only 20 miles. Sure, going up & over the zoo is a bit of a challenge, but I enjoy it. So yesterday I was fighting that voice in my head that said "just take the Max". I argued "no - that's cheating!" The voice had all kinds of tempting reasons, from making the ride easier by skipping the hills, to getting home earlier to eat dinner and walk the dog and watch the Olympics. So tempting. I'll admit that before I discovered (and named) my "zoobaix" route, I got frustrated and ended up taking Max from Goose Hollow to Washington Park and rode home from there. I think now I can ride it without having to think about where I am or even looking at street signs. It seemed much easier on Saturday though, when I rode the route on the club ride. Any ride done with friends always seems easier for some reason! Anyway another random thought I had while riding was how heightened my senses are. One thing I don't like about riding downtown is all the smells - specifically, cigarette smoke. It would be so nice if I didn't have to breathe while riding, and suck in the smoke, exhaust fumes, etc. But overall - I would have to say that it's all still worth it, because at least I'm on my bike, and that means I'm happy!

No comments: